Thread: Random box resetting

Random box resetting

Hi guys,

Today I was called to a hotel that has two multiview units - one "thick" one and one "thin" one. The thick one was (and still is) behaving perfectly, but the thin one was resetting itself every ten to fifteen minutes.
    This is reminiscent of the "live EPG / live teletext" saga earlier on this year that was fixed by the software update.
    Today, however, changing "live EPG" to "live teletext" didn't make any difference - the box still resets itself at random.
    I've swapped out this unit to try it at home, and its behaviour is identical.
    Aerial signals are all good, both at the hotel and here at home.

The box is set up as follows:
    Prog. UHF O/P UHF I/P
    BBC 1 21 60 (BBC A)
    BBC 2 24 60 (BBC A)
    Sky News 38 45 (ARQ A)
    Dave 49 45 (ARQ A)
    Film4 65 53 (D3&4)

Firmware is V03 14.101006 which appears to be the latest.

As far as I can tell, this has only just started happening, sometime within the last few days (could be today, but can't be sure).

Could you please look into the possible cause and recommend appropriate action?

I haven't yet asked another hotel that has two of these "thin" units (one of which is set up identically to this one) whether they're experiencing the same problem.

Cheers,
    Jim.

Re: Random box resetting

Hi Jim

We will setup a unit with the same settings and advise on Monday.

Regards

So far, I've found that setting up the box to its default settings (BBC1 thru to Five) gives no trouble.
    I've then set four of the five channels to BBC A MUX programmes and then played with just the fifth programme to see what happens.
    Setting Film4 makes the box reset.
    Setting More 4 makes the box reset.
    Setting Channel 4+1 gives no problems.
    Setting Film4+1 (ARQ B MUX) makes the box reset.

Puzzling, but still looks like a firmware / software problem.

Cheers,
    Jim.

We've had a unit running since 8am on:

BBC1
    BBC2
    stv
    CH4
    More 4

No resets so far.

There is a report of an "SI Error" on the last unit so this may explain it more.

Will have to investigate further.

Hi Jim

Seen the problem now.

For some reason the watchdogs are reporting that the program has stopped when it has not so is resetting.
    Guessing there is an SI issue as this is being reported.

We may have to introduce a workaround for this.

This is going to take till the first week of Janaury to investate fully due to the holidays.

Could you have the end user change form these programs please as a temporary measure until this is resolved?

Regards

Glad you've been able to replicate the problem.
    I'll get the other boxes programmed to something else for now and await your fix.

Cheers,
    Jim.

Hi Jim

Been testing this over the past couple of days but the fault seems to have dissapeared.

Can you confirm please?

Regards

Hi CMS_ADMIN,

Yes - just tried the thin box tonight with the original setup that wasn't working and everything seems to be fine now. I've also "inherited" another "thick" box (E00 build) which also seems to be fine (but still don't know if it would have behaved the same way when the problem existed).
    Looks like I'll have to but the boxes back as they were and see what happens.
    It suggests something amiss on the transmission side of things - EPG? PIDs? Be nice to know, and also why the Multiview boxes were affected but apparently nothing else?

Cheers,
    Jim.

Hi Jim

The way the Multiview works with various wathdogs forces a reset if errors are detected.
    That could explain why it would reset while other units do not.

We are running the recorded stream through some analysers next week to check for errors.

Early next week we will release new software for both the thick & thin versions of the Multiview.
    This will introduce the EPG fix for the thick version & set the default EPG mode to "Live Teletext" on both.

Regards

Hi Jim

The new firmware has been released and is available in the download section.

We found lots of SI errors on the recorded Transport Stream (missing PID's etc.) so it seems that there were some problems that were then fixed.

Regards